ABIDE WORKSHOP #1: Spiritual Disciplines
Saturday June 2, 10am-4pm
@ The Ragsdale Home
355 Chalk Bluff Court Driftwood, TX 78619
optional dinner afterwards
We will be led by two spiritual directors, Jon Ingle and Terri Fisher, from the Lumen Center.
- Purchase Soul Feast by Marjorie J Thompson and read the introduction through Chapter 1.
- As you live out a couple days, make a list of the habituated patterns established in your life, and bring this list to the workshop. This can be your morning routine, what you do when you get home, your weekend practices, etc.
- To help us put people into cohorts (groups of around 5-6 who will meet twice a month for mutual encouragement), we need to know your availability. USE THIS LINK to share times that are good for you.
AFTER THE WORKSHOP, Consider using SOME OF the following resources in your growth
- Read Soul Feast and give yourself to the practices at the end of each chapter. A reading schedule is HERE.
- Your cohort groups and emails are HERE.
- An overview of the spiritual disciplines can be found HERE.
- Take a listen to the podcast from "On Being" where Krista Tippit interviews Irish poet and theologian John O'Donohue. LISTEN HERE.
- Consider reading or listening to the book, Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton. You can buy it HERE.
- You can also listen to Ruth Haley Barton talk about this concept on a podcast HERE.
- Listen to a sermon Mark gave on the nature of ceaseless prayer on 11/26/2017. LISTEN HERE.
- Check out this handout sharing different forms of prayer HERE.
- Renovare is a ministry of spiritual formation. See their daily devotional guide as a springboard HERE.
- A good starting point for learning the discipline in reading scripture is found HERE.
- The DAILY EXAMEN's process is as follows: 1. Become aware of God’s presence. 2. Review the day with gratitude. 3. Pay attention to your emotions. 4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it.5. Look toward tomorrow. More resources are HERE.
- "Pray as You Go" is podcast that provides an audio-style reflection on scripture. Download and listen HERE.
- The Northumbria Community shares their daily office (set times of liturgical style prayer) online. Save the link and it is refreshed every day. Click on the time of day. MORNING PRAYER // MIDDAY PRAYER // EVENING PRAYER
- The Bible is a rich, historical document. To understand a deeper reading of the Bible, check out this 4 minute video. HERE.